IEEE standardization efforts to advance software defined networks are currently under way.
The Standards Activities Council of IEEE Communications Society has established two research groups and two study groups to examine standardization opportunities in software defined networks, network functions virtualization, and related areas. More information about these efforts is available in The Institute.
IEEE Standards Association, a leader in standards development, is driving the functionality, capabilities and interoperability of SDN through related IEEE standards projects.
Active IEEE Standards Projects:
- IEEE P1903.1 - Standard for Content Delivery Protocols of Next Generation Service Overlay Network (NGSON)
- IEEE P1913.1 - Software-Defined Quantum Communication
- IEEE P1915.1 - Security for Virtualized Environments
- IEEE P1916.1 - Performance for Virtualized Environments
- IEEE P1917.1 - Reliability for Virtualized Environments
- IEEE P1921.1 - Software-Defined Networking Bootstrapping Procedures
- IEEE P1930.1 - SDN based Middleware for Control and Management of Networks